Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) teaches simple effective skills and develops emotional strength to meet life’s challenges with kindness instead of blaming, shaming or criticizing ourselves. MSC is based on the groundbreaking research of Professor Kristin Neff, PhD and designed by Chris Germer, Clinical Psychologist, PhD, through the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, University of California San Diego.
The core skills of Self-Compassion develop courageous attitudes, which help us, stand up to harm, even the harm we may inflict unwittingly upon ourselves, through self-criticism, self-isolation or self-absorption. Self-Compassion allows us to:
- face and befriend our shortcomings,
- motivate ourselves with kindness,
- forgive ourselves,
- relate wholeheartedly to others,
- care for others while caring for ourselves and
- live more open heartedly.
Rapidly expanding research shows that self-compassion is strongly associated with:
- emotional well-being,
- less anxiety, depression and stress,
- maintenance of healthy habits such as diet and exercise, and
- satisfying personal relationships.
Self-Compassion can be learnt by anyone, even those who didn’t receive enough affection in childhood or who feel uncomfortable when they are good to themselves.
In this 8-week course, you will:
- Learn how to handle challenging emotions with self-kindness.
- Practice being self-compassionate in daily life
- Learn about the science of self-compassion
- Learn how to motivate yourself with kindness rather than criticism
- Learn how to transform challenging relationships, old and new
- Learn tools to manage empathy fatigue or burn-out
- Practice the art of savoring and self-appreciation
- Be able to teach simple self-compassion practices to others
MSC is an experiential 8 week journey with a half day retreat — an adventure in self-discovery and self-kindness – offering periods of instruction and periods of practice. No previous experience of meditation or mindfulness is required. Self-Compassion is easier than you think!
MSC Teacher: Claire Breen, Educational Psychologist, Cell 082 066 2212 or Tel (021) 794 5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or websites www.Clairebreen.co.za, www.MindfulSelfCompassion.co.za, www.self-compassion.org, www.CenterForMSC.org